Vanilla Air Point – Terms of Service
The Vanilla Air Point Terms of Service ("TOS") set out the conditions regarding the admission to/withdrawal
from the point program of Vanilla Air Inc. ("the Company"), the acquisition and use of points, and other
The English version of the terms shall be the official text for members who registered on any of the available non-Japanese-language versions of the website.
Chapter 1 General Provisions (General Terms)
Article 1 Definitions
"this program": the members-only program that allows for the acquisition and use of points when using the Company's services, under the conditions defined by the Company.
"member": an individual customer who has applied to join this program and who has been admitted by the Company.
"member ID": 10-digit number issued to members.
"points": points that members can acquire when using applicable services and under certain conditions specified by the Company. In addition, restrictions may be imposed on the use or acquisition of points under certain conditions specified by the Company.
"points account": account where acquired points are accumulated.
Article 2 Admission to the Program
Article 3 Membership Eligibility
1. Membership is effective from the point at which the Company, after having received and reviewed the membership application, has opened a points account for the member. Members are issued a member ID at the same time that their membership becomes effective.
2. The member ID can only be used by the member him- or herself. Members shall store their member IDs with the care of a good manager. Member IDs and accumulated points cannot be transferred (except when following Company-defined procedures), sold, lent to, or inherited by, a third party, nor can they be provided as collateral.
3. Members must set their own passwords on the membership administration screen. A password is required to confirm identity when using various services including application for use. You should set a password that cannot be easily guessed by others, and always make sure to keep passwords to yourself and do not disclose them to others. The Company shall under no circumstances be held liable for the fraudulent acquisition of points resulting from identity theft by others using passwords. Furthermore, we recommend that members regularly change their password at their own responsibility.
4. Members have one points account per person. Members may not engage in double registration of points in multiple accounts.
5. Membership is limited to persons aged at least 2 years old. Only the registered member shall perform procedures relating to accumulating points into the member's points account, checking the account balance or applying to use points. The Company shall verify the member's identity in these situations. If the member is a child (aged 2-11), their parent or other legal representative may perform procedures relating to accumulating points into a points account or checking the account balance on their behalf. However, the child's parent or legal representative may not perform procedures relating to the use of the child's points until the date specified separately by the Company.
Chapter 2 Acquisition of Points
Article 4 Points Acquisition Methods
1. Points can be acquired starting from the amount collected on the day you become a member. The acquisition of points shall terminate on October 26, 2019.
2. Points can be acquired by actually traveling on the flight segment booked via the Company's website, reservations center or airport counter, for which the fare has been paid and tickets issued, in relation to the amount paid (excluding payment charges, taxes and insurance fees) per individual member. Bookings and purchasing methods for which points can be acquired are limited to those listed above (points cannot be acquired when bookings or purchases are made through a travel agent).
3. Members can acquire points through methods specified for this program by the Company. The acquisition unit for points, conversion rates for various currencies, applicable services and other point acquisition conditions shall be as specified separately by the Company. Furthermore, the Company may revise the conditions for point acquisition at any time.
4. The acquisition of points is not connected to the number of purchased seats, but is approved in relation to the amount paid for one seat per member, per flight segment.
5. Points acquired by a single member are accumulated in a single points account, and shall not be accumulated in any other points accounts.
6. It will take up to a few days after the date of boarding for points to be registered in the points account.
7. If points are not automatically registered in the points account, members may claim the points in a manner specified by the Company (claims must be made not earlier than seven days from the date of boarding, and within 90 days). In addition, it is possible to claim the points under this paragraph until 5 business days before the program end date specified in Article 26, Paragraph 2.
8. In the event of an objection regarding points acquisition, members must register their objection with the Company within 90 days of the actual boarding date. Documentation providing evidence of the booking (including boarding pass itinerary/receipt for the flight segment the member claims to have boarded) must be submitted when registering an objection. In addition, it is possible to file an objection under this paragraph until 5 business days before the program end date specified in Article 26, Paragraph 2.
9. Points cannot be acquired for traveling infants (under 2 years old). Points cannot be acquired even when a seat has been purchased for an infant.
Article 5 Expiration Date
Points are valid for 24 months, counting from the date of boarding the flight from which the points were collected. (Including the day of acquisition) However, the expiration date of points acquired under certain conditions specified by the Company is based on the conditions at the time of acquisition. The Company shall under no circumstances be held liable for any points becoming invalid, whatever the reason may be. In addition, all points shall expire on the program end date specified in Article 26, Paragraph 2.
Chapter 3 Use of Points
Article 6 Users
1. Members who have undergone the prescribed identity confirmation by the Company can use points. Points usage amounts, usage units, conversion rates for various currencies, applicable services and other point usage conditions shall be as specified separately by the Company
2. Any requirements will be communicated to the member through the email address registered with this program. If there is a change in the email address or in any other of the registered personal information, the member must perform the procedures to change these in a manner specified separately by the Company. The Company shall under no circumstances be held liable for any detrimental effect on the member including failure for requirement communications to be delivered, failure for points to be acquired or delays in points acquisition, which are caused by the member not having performed these procedures to change personal information.
Article 7 Usage Method
1. Members who have undergone the prescribed identity confirmation can use points. Points usage amounts, usage units, conversion rates for various currencies, applicable services and other point usage conditions shall be as specified separately by the Company.
2. Points can be used up to the balance of points registered in the points account immediately prior to usage.
Article 8 Usage Restrictions
1. Even when booking multiple seats, only the points of the person making the booking (the representative) can be used. Separate maximum limits may apply to points usage for one single booking. Furthermore, points can only be used for new bookings.
2. Points cannot be used to pay for payment charges, taxes and insurance fees.
3. Points may not be usable depending on the payment method at the time of the booking.
4. Ensure that points are used before the expiration date.
5. Before use, make sure to check regarding any other restrictions or conditions.
Article 9 Refunds
After using points, the member may not cancel, rescind, or attempt to invalidate, etc. the point assignment. Points transferred cannot be returned to the original owner. If a booked flight that was purchased using points was not used or if a booked flight was canceled due to the customer's circumstances, the used points cannot be refunded into the member's points account. Furthermore, the Company shall under no circumstances be held liable for compensating members for points that they were unable to use.
However, this restriction does not apply if the Company cancels a flight, or if, for no justifiable reason, a flight could not be operated according to schedule, beyond what is considered to be reasonable.
Chapter 4 Transfer of Points
Article 10 Transfer Methods
1. The member may apply to transfer or add points to the account of a specified other member in accordance with the provisions outlined in this agreement and on the membership administration screen on the Company's website. Points transfers are subject to a fee as specified by the Company at the moment of transfer, chargeable in points. The fee for transferring points cannot be refunded. After the point acquisition procedure is complete, the member cannot cancel, rescind, or attempt to invalidate the point assignment. Points transferred cannot be returned to the original owner. In addition, the Company shall under no circumstances be held liable for any issues between members arising from the acquisition of points from points transfers.
2. Only the member (member's parent or other legal guardian in the case that the member is a child) from whom the points will be transferred can apply for a points transfer, applications from anyone other than the member will not be accepted. In addition, members can only transfer points using the Company's website. (Points cannot be transferred at reservation centers, airport counters, or travel agencies).
Article 11 Point Transfer Restrictions
1. Points can only be transferred to members aged 12 years and over. There are restrictions on the number points that can be transferred per transaction, and the number of points that can be transferred annually. Details of restrictions can be found on the Company's website.
2. Points acquired under certain conditions specified by the Company may not be transferable. Details of such conditions can be found on the Company's website.
3. Transfer or acquisition of points relating to the following items is prohibited.
(1) To resell points or receive points from other members for resale purposes.
(2) To acquire or transfer points via flea market applications, auction sites, etc.
(3) To transfer points to persons who intend, directly or indirectly, to buy/sell points, or to persons who intend to arrange the sale of points.
(4) To transfer points to other members in the knowledge that they intend to resell points to other members.
4. In the event that acquisition or transfer of points is performed for any of the reasons listed in the preceding paragraph, the Company will immediately confiscate all applicable points. In addition, the Company reserves the right to confiscate all points currently held in the points account of the offending member and cancel the offending member's membership if the Company judges that the relationship of trust has been severely damaged through a violation listed in the preceding paragraph. In the case where the Company becomes aware of a violation listed in the preceding paragraph, the points transferred by the offending member may be subject to forfeit regardless of whether the member receiving the points had knowledge of the violation.
Article 12 Expiration Date
The transferred points are valid for one month from the date of transfer (including the date of transfer) regardless of the expiration date before being transferred. The Company shall under no circumstances be held liable for point loss relating to point expiration, regardless of the reason. In addition, all points shall expire on the program end date specified in Article 26, Paragraph 2.
Article 13 Handling
The Company reserves the right to change the transfer method of points, point expiration dates, and any other conditions at any time. The Company will notify members of such changes by posting on the Company's website or by other methods specified by the Company.
Chapter 5 Handling of Personal Information
Article 14 Purpose of Use of Personal Information
1. Members' personal information is collected and used for the following purposes.
(1) Bookings, airline ticket sales, check-in, airport handling, in-flight services in relation to air transport services.
(2) Bookings, airline ticket sales, check-in, and airport handling in relation to joint carrier flights, code sharing, successive carriers, and subcontracted carrier flights.
(3) Provision of services as part of this program.
(4) Information provision on, offering and management of other services handled by the Company.
(5) Any business supplementary to or connected with (1)-(4) above.
(6) Conducting surveys relating to the Company's services, products, etc.
(7) Development of new services and products.
(8) Information provision on, operation and management of various events and campaigns and provision of various other information.
(9) Communication relating to services and products offered by the Company.
(10) Provision of information regarding the operation and management of services and products, various events and campaigns, as well as other assorted information, handled by group companies of the Company
(11) Responding to queries and requests, etc.
2. If a person or a member wishing to apply for membership declines to enter the information required for membership application, or if they do not consent to the handling of personal information as specified in this Chapter, the Company may refuse membership or perform procedures to withdraw membership.
3. When an application for membership has been made but this has not been approved by the Company, the fact of application will be used for a certain period in accordance with the provisions of paragraph 1 of the present article, regardless of the reason for membership refusal, but will not be used for anything else.
Article 15 Proper Management
In operating this program, the Company regards the personal information provided by members as important data, will handle the data with the utmost care and place strict controls on this data. The necessary systems will be put in place, including establishing internal policies and building organizational frameworks, in order to manage this data appropriately and securely.
Article 16 Outsourcing
The Company may outsource part of the work relating to this program, and provide outsources with personal information to the extent necessary
Article 17 Correction, Deletion, Addition, Usage Termination, and Erasure under the Act on the Protection
of Personal Information.
Requests made in the manner specified by the Company by the member him- or herself to disclose, correct, delete or add data, or terminate usage of or erase personal data held by the member, will be handled within a reasonable time-frame and scope upon confirmation that the person filing the request is the member him- or herself. Furthermore, the member's personal information can be easily checked on the Company's website.
Article 18 Requirement for Notification of Changes in Personal Information
Any changes to personal information registered by a member must be made via the membership administration screen on the Company's website or through the reservations center.
Chapter 6 Termination of Membership
Article 20 Withdrawal Procedures
Members can withdraw from this program by performing the withdrawal procedures via the membership administration screen on the Company's website. Withdrawal from this program is effective from the point of completion of the withdrawal procedures.
Article 21 Lapse of Membership
If no points are acquired or there is no usage record in a two-year period, membership may be revoked.
Article 22 Cancellation of Membership / Termination of Points Usage, etc.
1. In the event of improper acquisition or improper use of points, or breach of these TOS or the procedures therein, of false notice or any other improper act, if Article 14, paragraph 2 applies or if any other act is engaged in that seriously compromises the relationship of trust with the Company, membership may be revoked, accumulated points may be forfeited and their return may be requested. Further participation in or rejoining of this program may also be denied.
2. If the member dies, their membership status and points shall be invalidated. However, if the conditions prescribed by the Company are satisfied, heirs of deceased members can inherit points through the procedure prescribed by the Company.
Article 23 Handling of Points of Members who have Withdrawn Membership
The points of members who have withdrawn membership or whose membership status is no longer valid may not be used for any of the Company's services.
Chapter 7 Other Matters
Article 24 Measures against Fraud
In the event of improper acquisition or improper use of points, or breach of these TOS or the procedures therein, of false notice or any other improper act, in addition to the measures specified in Article 18, legal action may be taken as required, including claims for damages (including legal fees and court costs). If any improper use is discovered, the member or traveler will be required to pay the amount equivalent to the points payment (provided, however, that if this does not cover the damage incurred by the Company, the Company reserves the right to claim damages).
Article 25 Program Suspension
The Company shall be able to temporarily suspend the program, partially or in its entirety, for any of the reasons outlined below, without prior notice to the member. In addition, the Company shall under no circumstances be held liable for any issues between members arising from the acquisition of points from points transfers.
(1) When this program cannot be provided due to breakdown or malfunction of servers, telecommunication lines or other equipment, or due to other reasons.
(2) When routine or emergency work is performed on the system (including servers, telecommunication lines and power supply, buildings housing these, etc.) including maintenance, inspection, repairs and alterations.
(3) When this program cannot be provided due to fire, power outage, etc.
(4) When this program cannot be provided due to natural disaster including earthquake, volcanic eruption, flood, tsunami, etc.
(5) When this program cannot be provided due to war, uprising, riot, civil disturbance, industrial dispute or other force majeure circumstances.
(6) When this program cannot be provided due to legislation or measures based on this legislation.
(7) When suspicion of improper use of this program has arisen.
(8) When the Company has found it necessary to temporarily suspend this program due to other operational or technical reasons.
Article 26 Notification of Termination
1. The Company shall be able to terminate this program at any time. Upon termination of this program, unused points of members shall be canceled, except in the cases specified separately by the Company
2. This program shall be terminated on December 19, 2019 (hereinafter referred to as "the program end date") and members will be automatically withdrawn.
Article 27 Program Changes
The provisions of this program and the various conditions including the number of acquired points, point acquisition conditions, and point usage conditions are subject to change without prior notice, regardless of any impact on the value of points that have already been acquired. The Company will notify members of any changes by posting on the Company's website or by other methods specified by the Company
Article 28 Revision of Confirmations and Understandings
Where confirmations and understandings including provisions in any printed matter and notifications issued by the Company differ from the content on the Company's website, the content on the Company's website shall take precedence. Past confirmations and understandings that differ from confirmations and understandings in the most recent printed matter, will be regarded as having been changed to the content in the most recent printed matter
Article 29 Campaigns for Specified Members
Campaign points and other campaign benefits may be offered to specified members only, depending on the number of accumulated points, place of residence or other program participation conditions.
Article 30 Right to Send Advertising and Publicity Emails, etc.
The Company reserves the right to send members campaign and other publicity materials by email. Members can decline such communications via the membership administration screen on the Company's website.
Article 31 Governing Law and Court Jurisdiction
These Terms shall be governed and construed under the laws of Japan, and the Tokyo District Court shall have exclusive primary jurisdiction with respect to all disputes arising between a member and The Company.
Supplementary provisions - This agreement is effective from August 22, 2017.
Supplementary provisions - This agreement is updated and effective from May 16, 2018.
Supplementary provisions - This agreement is updated and effective from March 1, 2019.